For the last several weeks, when it was not freezing or 8o degrees outside, I’ve been working away, polishing the inside of the trailer. (Last Fall, I had taken off the grimy “mouse fur” lining the walls and fried a few brain cells getting the glue off the walls.) The polishing is just hard grimy work which requires removing the oxidation and rust with one compound, and then finishing up with another. It looks pretty good.
|The polished walls, with terrible reflections from outside, before I started re-installing beds and cabinets.|
I had carefully marked most of the stuff I had removed and stored down cellar, putting the screws in small plastic bags and taping them to the item. It worked pretty well although the rails to hold the curtains were a challenge. I had multiple sets of holes in the walls but with Mary’s help holding the ends, and some retries, we got them in place.
|Here is a similar shot after the bed, the cabinet, and the infamous curtain railing were installed. Getting there.|
Installing the curtains is a trick, especially with bifocals. You have to thread little plastic holders into a rail while hunched over and working more by feel. They are installed, the floor is cleaned up, and I only have Mary’s side to finish and the back end of the trailer is ready.
|My side is about ready to go with mattress in place. All it needs is the dog sleeping on it.|
I got the rig de-winterized with fresh water on board — only one problem so far with a spray hose in the sink which sprays me instead of the sink. I tested out the water heater and finally got the refrigerator going on gas.
Our game plan is to finish up the repairs this week and take a short trip over to Ricker Pond State Park next week for a few days of shakedown. Feels good to get it this far.