We have been watching the weather forecast for several weeks and were not happy to see a winter storm scheduled for the day before our departure. However, the snow was going to be followed by freezing rain, and then rain — so I figured we had a chance to get going as scheduled. When we looked out this morning, it was not pretty.
Two days ago, I had managed to back the Airstream up the driveway to a flat spot where we can load it. My neighbor Jason, seeing me struggle to get the rig up around the big rock, came up and gave some great guidance.
I hit it hard, moving stuff from the house, loading the kayak in 10 degree temperatures, and burning through a tank of propane just warming the unit up.
The storm hit as expected and we awoke to a less than happy site — four inches of snow with a nice crust of ice.
I spent several hours getting the driveway passable and then tackled the truck and trailer. Temperatures were warming and little by little, the frosty units thawed out.
The forecast for this evening is for much colder weather in the morning, and the driveway I had so carefully scraped with the Kubota, and a patina from the day of freezing rain and rain on frozen ground. I decided to not chance an ice-skating party in the morning so I carefully, in low range, crawled down to the bottom of the driveway — to leave the rig there for launch at early dark thirty. Two chunks of firewood block the wheels and if we can hobble down without mishap, we’ll be off for Harrisburg, PA. I’ll let you know how our first few days go — we’re aiming for dull and non-newsworthy.